Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Jolly Postman

Janet and Allan Ahlberg 2001

 As my friends can attest I am a frequent letter writer.  I'm even a card carrying member of the Letter Writers Alliance.  I love sending mail, and getting mail (though my friends are hardly faithful writers, cough, cough).  I love the postal service- postmarks, airmail stamps, old mailboxes.  That's why I loved this children's book by the Ahlbergs.  The Jolly Postman goes round to various nursery rhyme characters giving them their mail and having a cup of tea- the wicked witch, the three bears, jack and the beanstalk, the big bad wolf, Goldilocks.  He delivers letters, a party invitation, a catalogue (that's my favorite), even a legal letter.   All of which can be taken out of the envelopes and read separately.  It's been a chore trying to keep all the pieces together and in the proper envelopes (and we have a few tears in the pages) but it's very fun to read.







1 comment: