Monday, April 23, 2012

More Silver Pennies

The rainy day mail today brought me a postcard from a dear friend, and this book that I had ordered all wrapped in brown paper.  Aren't those the very best kind of packages to get in the mail?

Blanche Jennings Thompson
illustrated by Pelagie Doane 1939

Silver Pennies is one of my favorite books of poetry for children, so when I learned there was a second volume I decided to track down a copy.

I've been in a cranky mood (I blame no sun outside and a list of Monday chores) and poor Charlotte has born the brunt of my snapping and snarling. I think this book will be just the thing to snuggle up and read with her and lift my spirits a bit.

Once again Blanche Jennings Thompson gives lovely introductions to the poems.


The Poems you cherish in youth will still be your friends in age, for no matter how old you grow
You still need a silver penny
To get into Fairyland.






I love that she included poems by James Joyce, an Indian woman, and some African American poets



There's plenty of Sara Teasdale, which of course makes me happy, and look at this wonderful one by Harold Lewis Cook.


My mom would not appreciate this one about mice.




I had no idea that Amelia Earhart wrote poems, but we read one here:




And this one Dust of Snow by Robert Frost was good for me today:

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.









No comments:

Post a Comment